Thursday, June 20, 2013

BUT THIS I CAN DO


Yes, this sermon brought me to tears.  I know that sounds weird, that a person could pen a sermon and it moved him to tears, but it is true.  When I finished writing this sermon I was brushing back tears.  Now, here's my heart's cry: "Lord, let these words come alive in me; let these words be living and active.  Let me do all that I can as Senior Pastor of GCCC and a citizen of heaven (Eph 2:19) to enlarge my world of evangelism far beyond where it is I live."  

Here are the facts: the majority of churches grow through what is referred to in Church jargon as "transfers."  That is: a person (people) moving from one church to another, a church split, etc.  Very few churches truly grow by winning and discipling the lost.  God put it this way: "Men move boundary stones; they pasture flocks they have stolen."  Recall the words of the apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 10:15-16 "Neither do we go beyond our limited by boasting of work done by others. … For we do not want to boast about work already done in another man's territory."  

I remember when Sheryl and I, along with a handful of people truly burdened for the lost in what was my home town (Pitman and Washington Township) began knocking on doors, inviting people to Church and watching the Spirit build His family one person, one redeemed soul, at a time.  It was beautiful to behold.  And still is I might add.  With that said, as I entered the study to put together this sermon built upon "We've a Story to Tell to the Nations" and Scripture text John 3:16-17, I was convicted by how small my world really is.  Here's an excerpt from the sermon:   
As I close the day reading Amazing Grace – 366 Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions, there was a section of songs devoted to the cause of missions.  After the third or fourth day of reading these great hymns of the church, I was convicted that my world was so small. Couple that with a daily reading from my Prayer Journal, which directs one’s attention to a different country every week with a daily prayer, and I was embarrassed at how small my world was when it came to fulfilling the Great Commission.  (show photo of Prayer Journal)  For instance, this is the prayer for Monday, June 24: “Pray that farmers who want to stop growing opium poppies will find other sources of income.”  The introduction to the month of June is Opium Brides in Afghanistan.  
Let's fast forward! 
Then my mind went to Dr Sam working alongside of his brother Abraham with the refugees in southern India.  I remembered the Hindu children attending a Christian school, whose only nourishing meal was what they received at school.  (show slides)  But what really struck me was this – God loved EVERY ONE of those Hindu children as much as he loves each of our children.  Yes, as much as he loves Joel and Noelle, as much as he loves AJ and Levi, as much as he loves El and Shi – they are our children and grandchildren. One other thought came to my mind – I would give my life for my children and grandchildren.  Would I give my life for Hindu children I do not know and have little investment in?  I’m embarrassed to tell you, most likely not.  But God did.  Granted – I’m not God and I can’t know everyone – in fact, it is all I can do to remember most of your names.  But this I can do … ."
How exciting to know that we can see like God, and if we'll let our hearts go there — love the whole world.  It's not difficult.  In fact, it's quite simple and something each of us can attain.  And that's what this sermon and weekend is all about.

If you'd like a copy of this week's sermon, reply with "yes."  

In Jesus,
PB
Pastor Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment