Thursday, October 16, 2014

WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY


<B0ENm1ICUAErZzl.jpg>

As I have mentioned in the past, the LORD spoke to me about closing each day with Him.  (I have since the age of 13 started the day with the LORD.)  It took me way too long to make what He asked a discipline.  Three years ago I decided to use a devotional to close the day, and that worked.  For two years I read Spurgeon’s Morning & Evening.  One year the Morning, one year the Evening.  This year I’ve been using On This Day by Robert J. Morgan.  The book takes each day of the year and highlights an event in Christendom.  Here are a few one-liners from the book (I call them One Sentence Sermons). Here is a OSS from each of the first six months:
  • Faithfulness eclipses fame as the mark of greatness.  Jan 7 (John Hooper)
  • It is not in due time - but in divine time Feb 8 (St Paul)
  • The blood of martyrs is the seed of the church.  March 7 (Tertullian)
  • Few assume greatness by themselves.  April 12 (Guillaume Farel)
  • When you have something to say, you have nothing to fear.  May 11 (David Marks)
  • Hard times should never make us hardened people, and adversity should never make us abrasive.  June 28 (Luther & Melanchthon) 
What stands out in my mind is how many Christians today, especially those living in our western American world, base their end-times theology around the comforts we are presently experiencing.  When I mention that the hour may come when we as believers will have to pay a price for our faith, I am ridiculed and mocked.  Seriously!  When you read On This Day, you’ll be staggered by the great price men and women have paid for the legacy of our faith.  BTW: Even as I write, children are giving their lives, refusing to recant their faith in Christ, in Iraq.  Look around you!  It’s happening before our very eyes — we Americans will one day, too, pay a price (maybe even with our lives) for believing in Jesus Christ.

Let me close with this OSS, which was my tweet/Instagram/post today: Man makes himself God through pride; God makes Himself man through humility!  Jacques Bossuet

In Jesus,

PB
The best of all is God is with us. Psalm 46:7/JBS

No comments:

Post a Comment